Last updated: Nov 20, 2022
TikTok Statistics – Updated Nov 2022
TikTok is available in over 150 countries, has over 1 billion users, and has been downloaded over 210 million times in the United States alone. If your brand’s target audience includes anyone between the age 13 and 60, you should be on TikTok right now. Need inspiration on launching your TikTok strategy? Click here for amazing TikTok examples from brands. Want to know how the TikTok algorithm works? Click here. Without further ado, here are the most important TikTok statistics (we will continuously refresh this article as new data becomes available – some data is directly from our TikTok contacts).
- Monthly Active Users – TikTok officially has over 1 billion monthly active users. For reference – active users of other social platforms: Facebook – 2.9B, YouTube – 2.2B, Instagram – 1.4B, TikTok – 1.0B, Snapchat – 500M, Pinterest – 480M, Twitter – 300M.
- Total App Downloads – The TikTok app has been downloaded over 2.6 billion times worldwide, as reported by Sensor Tower in December, 2020. In January 2021, TikTok had 62 million downloads. In Q1 of 2020, the app had 315 million downloads, which is the best quarter by any app, ever. 500 million of those come from India, 180 million from China, and 130 million from the U.S. In June of 2020 TikTok was downloaded 87 million times worldwide (with 7.5 million of those coming from the U.S.).
- Monthly Active Users in the United States – TikTok now has over 138 million active users in the U.S.
- Among U.S. over 18, TikTok brought in 22.2 million mobile unique visitors in January, 23.2 million in February and 28.8 million in March. In April, that number jumped to 39.2 million—three times the 12.6 million who used the app last April, according to the most recent Comscore data provided to Adweek(note – Comscore only tracks users over 18).
- The percentage of U.S.-based TikTok users by age: 10-19 – 32.5%, 20-29 – 29.5%, 30-39 – 16.4%, 40-49 – 13.9%, 50+ – 7.1%. This means that the TikTok userbase is aging up (so get on it now!). All data via Comscore.(Video) How to Defeat GIOVANNI in Pokémon GO? (NOVEMBER 2022)
Source: App Ape
- Average Minutes Per User – TikTok users love the app. They spend an average of a WHOPPING 95 minutes per day (over 1.5 hours) in the platform.
- Opens – A user opens the TikTok app 8 times per day.
- Creation – 83% of TikTok users have posted a video.
- U.S. Audience – As we mentioned, we estimate that TikTok has about 80 million monthly active users in the United States. 60% are female, 40% are male. 60% are between the ages of 16-24. 26% are between the ages 25-44. 80% are between the ages 16-34. This data comes straight from TikTok.
- Gen Z – 60% of TikTok users are Gen Zers. Gen Zers are trendsetters. Next year, 74 million people in the U.S. will be part of “Gen Z”, which will make it the largest generation of all.
- Revenue – TikTok is estimated to pull in $500 Million in revenue from the U.S. alone in 2020 (source).
- Countries – TikTok is now available in 154 countries worldwide (and 75 different languages).
- TikTok Vs. The Facebook Empire – Facebook’s “Lasso” (it’s TikTok clone), has 250,000 downloads in the U.S. since last November. TikTok has 41.3 Million in that timeframe.
- $500 – the amount TikTok is reportedly paying influencers to join the app and start creating content. It’s working well though. The platform is growing like crazy.
- According to Sensor Tower, TikTok was the second most downloaded app in the U.S. in November with 4 million downloads (trailing only Disney+).
- According to TechCrunch/Apptopia, TikTok’s Q4 2019 revenue grew over 300% from the same period a year earlier.
- Douyin, aka TikTok in mainland China, just hit 400 million daily active users there (and the most active dance video creators are over 60 years old!).
- A top trending song is typically a top trending song Spotify, as well. Illustrates the true influence of the platform.
- The TikTok Creator Marketplace is a platform run by TikTok that houses thousands of profiles of TikTok creators. Brands can search the marketplace for creators whose audiences best fit the target market of their campaign (need access? We have it!).
- TikTok had 104 million downloads just last month (an increase of 46% from the year ago period).
- Engagement – it’s hard to quantify this. But the engagement on TikTok is incredible. Case in point: Jennifer Lopez recently posted the same video on Twitter and TikTok. She has 45 million followers on Twitter and 5 million followers on TikTok. The video on Twitter got 2 million views (off 45 million followers). The video on TikTok got 71 million views (off 5 million followers). So start using TikTok now! They recently started nightly programming which is undoubtedly training Gen Z to tune in at certain times a la appointment TV viewing of days past. Engagement has increased dramatically over the past few months. The New York Times reports that TikTok usage has been skyrocketing since Coronavirus began.
- TikTok has recently created a $1 Billion Creator Fund. This money will be paid by TikTok directly to its creators in an effort to further solidify its relationships with influencers. TikTok has many competitors, large and small (Facebook’s Reels, YouTube’sShorts, former Vine creator’sByte, and Triller, among others). This fund should prove to be very effective for the platform.
- Forbes put out a report on the highest-earning TikTok stars. Addison Rae comes in at number one making $5 Million, Charli D’Amelio is number two at $4 Million, and her sister Dixie is number three at $2.9 Million.
- TikTok Top 100 Influencers – this list shows the top 100 most-followed TikTok accounts.
- There are six creators who have at least 50 million followers: Charlie D’Amelio, Addison Rae, Zach King, Spencer X, Loren Gray, and Bella Poarch
- TikTok released the Top 100 of 2020
- TikTok just increased the max video length from 3 minutes to 10 minutes (it was originally 1 minute)
- TikTok screen time per user is crushing its competitors – it’s currently at 26 hours per month.
- 29% of consumers that have TikTok installed on their phone use it every day – second only to Instagram at 39%.
- 67% of teens use TikTok (second only to YouTube according to a new Pew research poll)
- Nearly half of Gen Z is using TikTok and Instagram for search instead of Google, according to Google’s own internal data.
- Click here to see the most followed and highest earning TikTok accounts.
- 33% of TikTok users say they regularly get their news from the app, according to Pew Research.
- According to the Wall Street Journal, users currently spend 17.6 million hours per day on Instagram Reels, versus 197.8 million hours per day on TikTok.
- TikTok is beta testing live shopping in the wild now.
- TikTok SEO is huge (with tens of millions of searches per day), and something you need to be working on right now.
Here’s a quick rundown of some marketing and advertising related statistics:
- Brand takeover ads cost anywhere between $20,000 – $200,000 (Digiday, 2019)
- Hashtag Challenges cost brands $100,000+ (Adweek, 2019)
- Advertising campaigns start at just $50/day now with no long-term commitment (contact us today if you want to launch a TikTok advertising campaign!)
- TikTok recommends an additional $100,000 – $200,000 in ad spend within TikTok to promote a hashtag challenge (Adweek, 2019)
- TikTok influencers with 2.5 million followers or more charge around $600-1000 per post compared to $100-$200 for every 10,000-20,000 followers on Instagram (Telegraph, 2019)
- TikTok ads can send users to your website, an app page in the app store, or promote your hashtag challenge on the platform (TikTok, 2019)
- Brands are able to create branded AR lenses, filters, and stickers for TikTok users to insert into their video content. (TikTok, 2019)
- TikTok is working on a new augmented reality ad format that should be available soon (Digiday, 2020)
- Self-serve ads are now available! It’s a unique platform though, so we recommend working with an expert agency if you want to launch there (contact us if so!).
- TikTok is now offering ad credits for new brands advertising on the platform. There is a $300 ad credit and a $2000 ad credit. Contact us if you want these applied to your account!
- TikTok’s global ad revenue has already passed Twitter and Snapchat combined.
- TikTok ad spend as a percentage of Facebook ad spend has reached 40%, per Varos. It goes up every month.
- Avg revenue per post:$0.71per 1,000 followers (86% lower than Instagram!)
- Top 50 median follower count41m
- Top 50 median price per post of$28,670
- According to Triple Whale, TikTok is the most valuable advertising/influencer platform for DTC brands.
Some other quick hits:
- You watch TikToks, you fast forward through Stories
- Bytedance is testing cloud gaming
- TikTok creators will soon sell merch within the app
- Tool for adding links to TikTok videos
Have questions? Email me personally at brandon at wallaroomedia dot com. Want to get a TikTok strategy going of your own? (You should!). Contact us today by clicking here! Or fill out the form below!
Is TikTok losing popularity 2022? ›
TikTok became the world's third-largest social network last year, ranking behind Facebook and Instagram, according to Insider Intelligence. It estimates that TikTok will have 755 million monthly users globally in 2022, and its market share will top 20%.What data does TikTok collect 2022? ›
- The videos you watch and rewatch.
- The videos you comment on.
- The keyboard rhythms you have when you type.
- Your phone and location data.
There are about 69.5 million monthly active users in the States.Which country uses TikTok the most 2022? ›
Countries with the most TikTok users 2022
As of April 2022, The United States was the country with the largest TikTok audience by far, with approximately 136.5 million users engaging with the popular social video platform. Indonesia followed, with around 99 million TikTok users.
The Celine Dion lip-syncing challenge is one of the most popular trends that has carried on from 2021 to 2022. The viral song All coming back to me now by Celine Dion has caught the attention of TikTok users of all ages.What is the fastest growing social media platform in 2022? ›
All channels have seen an increase, however, unsurprisingly it is TikTok that takes the crown of the fastest growing social media channel in 2022. Of the 3,000 participants, 40% state that they plan to use TikTok in 2022 as part of their social media strategy.Does TikTok monitor your phone? ›
If you think TikTok is acting like Google or Meta when collecting data, you're not wrong. Consumer Reports (CR), a US-based nonprofit consumer organization, has revealed that TikTok gathers data on people who don't even use the app itself.Can TikTok see your Google search history? ›
TikTok Tracks Your Online Search History, Location, Personal Data and More – Study Explains There's No Way To Know Where It's Going.Does TikTok take your fingerprint? ›
While TikTok will continue to forbid sexually explicit content, it is also creating an option to allow users to host adult-only broadcasts featuring colorful language and mature topics. In the release, TikTok suggested this could be used for adult-themed comedy or discussions about sensitive and triggering topics.
Why does TikTok delete popular accounts? ›
During the second quarter of 2022, approximately 20.5 million TikTok accounts were removed from the platform due to suspicion of being operated by users under the age of 13.What age uses TikTok the most? ›
80% are between the ages 16-34. This data comes straight from TikTok. Gen Z – 60% of TikTok users are Gen Zers. Gen Zers are trendsetters.Is TikTok allowed in China? ›
TikTok, they note, isn't even available in China, though ByteDance offers a similar service, Douyin, that looks and works just like it.How does TikTok earn money? ›
The same model of content distribution is now being used on ads and sponsored content, helping TikTok serve more appealing ads and triple its ad revenue to an estimated $12 billion this year.Who is the owner of TikTok app? ›
TikTok, known in China as Douyin (Chinese: 抖音; pinyin: Dǒuyīn), is a short-form video hosting service owned by the Chinese company ByteDance. It hosts a variety of user-submitted videos, from content such as pranks, stunts, tricks, jokes and dance, with durations from 15 seconds to ten minutes.How do you do TikTok 2022 predictions? ›
Just go to the "Trending" tab, select the "In 2022 I Will" filter and add it to a video of your face. The filter will superimpose a text bubble over your head, then make a prediction for your next 12 months.What is trending in 2022? ›
Designers like Tom Ford, Rodarte and Prabal Gurung punctuated their Spring/Summer 2022 collections with shimmering fabrics and sequins fit for a Gatsby-era fete. So when the Covid blues creep in, go for disco ball eyelids, glitter nails or a sequin shift dress to lift your spirits.What's trending on social media in 2022? ›
Short-form videos are valued more. With the rise in popularity of TikTok and Instagram's own proclamation of valuing video, it comes as no surprise that short-form video is a social media trend in 2022. The video format of Stories now exists in some form in all the major social media platforms.Can TikTok view your camera? ›
In summary, these permissions allow TikTok to: Access the camera (and take pictures/video), the microphone (and record sound), the device's WIFI connection, and the full contact list on the device.Can TikTok see my Internet searches? ›
TikTok has the ability to track every tap of your screen while you browse in its iOS app, including typed passwords and clicked links, according to new research by software engineer Felix Krause. In-app browsing refers to any activity on third-party sites that open in the app, rather than in an external window.
Does deleting TikTok stop spying? ›
In simple terms, your user data still exists, but you have chosen not to reaccess it via the app. What is this? Other TikTok users will still be able to view your content, videos, comments and profile if you only deleted the TikTok app.Does TikTok tell you who viewed your profile 2022? ›
You can turn your Profile view history on or off in your privacy settings or on your Profile views page. Turning off profile view history means you will not be able to see who has viewed your profile, and others would not be able to see that you've viewed theirs too.Can TikTok track other apps? ›
Creators will not get notified if you screenshot one of their TikToks. This also means that if you upload a video to TikTok, you won't know if anybody screenshots your videos, so when you put anything on the app it's wise to keep this in mind.Can TikTok tell if I screenshot? ›
No. TikTok will not inform if someone capture or record your screen. Not at all like a few other web-based entertainment platforms these as Snapchat, which doubtlessly mail notices assuming anybody requires screen captures of your posts, TikTok does not do that.Does TikTok read your face? ›
From using facial recognition to automatically recognize and search for people's faces — even those people who are not on the app — to voice data technology to inform auto-captioning, many of TikTok's key features rely on their ability to capture mass amounts of data, raising a host of data collection and privacy ...Is TikTok inappropriate for 11 year olds? ›
Jean Twenge, our nation's leading researcher on how social media impacts child and adolescent development, recommends that no child under 13 should be on any social media, including TikTok. And I would add that many 13-year-olds aren't ready.Is TikTok 12+ or 13+? ›
What age is TikTok recommended for? Common Sense recommends the app for age 15+ mainly due to the privacy issues and mature content. TikTok requires that users be at least 13 years old to use the basic TikTok features, although there is a way for younger kids to access the app.Does TikTok ban 13 year olds? ›
People on TikTok must be at least 16 years of age to do things like send or receive Direct Messages, host a LIVE, and allow others to download, Stitch, and Duet their videos.Why am I losing TikTok followers for no reason? ›
There are several reasons you could be losing followers on Tiktok, and they mainly revolve around your content's quality and consistency and Tiktok's algorithm. It could be that your content is not resonating with users anymore, or an update has occurred affecting your account or those of your followers.
What happens if you have too many TikTok accounts? ›
TikTok allows for multiple accounts, but pro tip: multiple accounts from one phone will flag you as a business account and like many platforms, they'll de-prioritize you unless you're a paying advertiser. If you're giving some of these things a try, limit your account login to one device.
Technically, TikTok only deactivates your account for 30 days before deleting it entirely. That means you can reactivate your account with everything still intact while you're within that time window. But after 30 days, you will lose your account and everything associated with it.What is the youngest age allowed on TikTok? ›
2. Does TikTok have a minimum age? TikTok's Terms of Service state that users must be at least 13 years old to sign up for an account and have full access to the platform, in compliance with the U.S.'s Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.How many kids are on TikTok? ›
According to the latest data updated in September 2021, out of more than 1.1 billion users, 32.5% are users between 10-19 years old, so it is estimated that about 30% of users are under 18 years old.Who is TikTok's target audience? ›
These TikTok age demographics statistics show that a whopping 92.39% of all TikTok users are aged 13 to 34, painting a clear picture of TikTok's appeal to teens and young adults. Looking at the rest of TikTok users, the data shows that just 5.97% of them are from 35 to 44 years old.Which country Cannot TikTok? ›
Why Are Some Countries Banning TikTok?
|Australia||Not currently banned|
|Country||Number of Monthly Active Users (millions)||Rank by MAU worldwide|
Countries such as Indonesia and Bangladesh have banned it on the basis of pornography-related concerns, while others like Armenia and Azerbaijan have implemented restrictions to mitigate the spread of information which could lead to conflict.Does TikTok pay Per followers? ›
TikTok begins paying you starting from 1500 followers, so as your subscribers increase, they will pay you more money. It is estimated that Tik Tok pays around US$ 100 for every 10,000 followers for live shows. But one of the easiest and most effective ways to get money from TikTok is through sponsors.How many followers do you need on TikTok to get paid? ›
To start making money on TikTok:
You must have a minimum of 10,000 followers. Your videos must have 100,000 video views in the last 30 days. Your account must adhere to the TikTok Community Guidelines and terms of service.
Why is it called TikTok? ›
The app was launched in 2016 in China, where it's called Douyin. It went international in 2017 as TikTok; the name, apparently, is a play on tick-tock, onomatopoeia for clocks and a term for countdowns and minute-by-minute action. In 2017–18, TikTok bought and merged with competitor, musical.ly.Is TikTok a Indian? ›
TikTok has long been banned in India, but if sources are to be believed, the short-video app will return to India. A couple of months ago, the TikTok-owned company Byetdance was in talks with a Mumbai-based company to reinstate TikTok in India.What was the first viral TikTok dance? ›
( this is the original vid ! ) By far the most popular dance on TikTok with more than 29.7 million users attempting the fast-paced choreography is the "renegade." It's perhaps one of the first viral dances to break out of the confines of the app itself and prompt so many others to strive to "go viral."Is TikTok getting less popular? ›
Not only is the number of people using TikTok increasing, but the amount of time users spend on the app is also increasing. According to App Annie, the amount of time users spend on the app has been increasing by around 210% each year, and this usage growth is expected to continue into 2022 and beyond.Will TikTok stop being popular? ›
TikTok is estimated to face great downfall in the upcoming year 2023, due to a decrease in the average time spent on the app by the users.Is TikTok decreasing in popularity? ›
TikTok's Popularity And Growth Among Social Media Platforms May Finally Be Declining, Proves New Study. When it comes down to one app that has seen mega success around the world in such a short span of time, TikTok is definitely a frontrunner.Why do Tiktoks not go viral? ›
And the way to get that engagement is by creating good content. So how do you create better content on TikTok? The main answer is to create content for your target audience, not for yourself. If your content is not providing them value in some way, they're not going to care enough to watch it.Why is everyone losing followers on TikTok? ›
Algorithm Updates by TikTok
Every now and then, Tiktok reviews its algorithm, and that could result in losing some of your followers. That's because, when these updates happen, they pick out any suspicious profiles that look like a scam or fake profiles.
With its emphasis on music and lip sync videos, Triller is a clear TikTok competitor. In 2020, this new social media app exploded after India banned TikTok, and gained 29 million users overnight.What is the blackout challenge on TikTok 2022? ›
The blackout challenge is a choking game that involves intentionally trying to choke oneself or another to obtain a brief euphoric state or “high.” Death or serious injury can result if strangulation is prolonged. Those doing the challenge do it privately or broadcast their attempt to friends or followers.
Why do Tiktoks not like anymore? ›
There is some reason that you are not getting likes on TikTok. You are probably misusing hashtags. When you make a TikTok video and share it, someone will see your video, and when you use hashtags that do not have anything to do with your content people who watch your videos will not like them.Who owns TikTok now 2022? ›
TikTok, known in China as Douyin (Chinese: 抖音; pinyin: Dǒuyīn), is a short-form video hosting service owned by the Chinese company ByteDance. It hosts a variety of user-submitted videos, from content such as pranks, stunts, tricks, jokes and dance, with durations from 15 seconds to ten minutes.Why is TikTok ending? ›
BEIJING — A leader of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission said he has asked Apple and Google to remove TikTok from their app stores over China-related data security concerns. The wildly popular short video app is owned by Chinese company ByteDance, which faced U.S. scrutiny under President Donald Trump.Is Instagram losing popularity 2022? ›
So, is Instagram dying in 2022? No, not quite yet. The platform definitely has competition but it will still stay relevant for content creators that leverage the algorithm and create content that people want to see.What is the biggest social media platform? ›
Facebook—which is owned by Meta—is the most popular social media platform with 2.9 billion monthly active users (MAUs). Which refers to individual users who visit your site in a given month. In fact, the combined number of Meta product users (Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp) in Q1 of 2022 was 3.64 billion.